Thursday 22 October 2015

First time using an FO!

Fragrance Oil that is.....seems simple at first but anything you add to your soap can change the texture, colour or fragrance in ways that you would never initially think.

Soap 9.... made 10/10/2015, ready 10/11/2015
The Fragrance oil I used for this soap is named Irish Cream, reminiscent of the famous Bailey's! It really does smell like that, there is also a creamy sweetness there too and although I didn't really read up on the contents of the fragrance I knew there had to be vinallin/vanilla in there that would probably morph the colour of the soap anything from a dark cream to a dark brown so I thought I would play with that concept and see where it would lead.

 In the bowl are my hard oils, (left to right around that) water, lye, fragrance oil sample, colloidal oats, titanium dioxide and soft oils.

Water and lye mixture added to the hard oils and melting....

                             
Apart from the oats, these are the only additives, fragrance oil and titanium dioxide then for the top, gold mica and glitters.

After adding the soft oils and splitting off into three sections, jug with spatula has only TD, no fragrance, jug on the right has only fragrance, first layer in the mold has the oats and the fragrance, take notice of the colour of the soap batter.

In the mold top decorated with swirls and some extra bars on the left.

After 24 hours I unmolded and left to dry for another 24 hours

Cutting the bar, the first slices show the colour inside....I would have loved if the soap had stayed that colour....


But look what happens when the bars are left to dry....remember the only 'colour' addition is the TD which is actually not a true colour but white to make a distinction in the creamy white colours and swirls.

The bottom layer of colloidal oats for exfoliation can also be clearly seen...

I like the effect, shame I only had a sample size fragrance to play with and I used most of it here , maybe I'll get some more and play a little more with different percentages of fragrance in the layers next time.


So many soaps so little time.....smells good enough to eat too, even though it's dark I still like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment